Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Blending In

So, I realized today that I need to stop teasing my colleague John about sticking out like a sore thumb. I found out today that I am no better. I thought that just because I am Indian, don't dress all that well, wear sandals which are made in India no less, and have given up smiling at random people, I would blend in. But no... not even close. On the walk home from a local coffee shop today, I was stopped by seven different taxis who all asked, "ssaRR.. auTTO?." ("auto" is the local name for a three-wheeled taxi in India.) SEVEN different people were able to pick me out of a crowded street.

I am going to grow a mustache (which almost 90% of the local men sport), lose about 30 pounds (men here are really thin), and try again... on second thought, I am not sure how good a idea that is. It will take me well over 6 months to grow the mustache ... and the weight I am not sure I can lose at all... maybe I should develop a new strategy to "blend" in... speaking of which, suggestions anyone?

No comments: